Sunday, May 16, 2010

New Plans for the 81 El Camino

This weekend was a bust working on my 81 El Camino, Due to an allergy to seafood and being exposed to it Friday I spent Saturday re-covering. Sunday I had some up keep to do around the house weed eating and cutting an oak tree removing some tree branches from the roof of the house, and the rescue dogs ( Yes we have a dog rescue) Escaped again so I had to secure their kennel once again. I did however get to measure for the speaker box I plan to build and install. Right now everything is a theory until I purchase the speaker components but I will share the initial design Ideas here.

I have decided due to the complexity of the cargo area the smugglers box behind the seats that a more complex design was needed but maybe it can be simplified yes it would require additional materials and a little more work but the new design should produce the expected outcome.

I want to use to ten inch sub woofers and two 6X9’s in the speaker set up behind the seats until I pick out and purchase the components my initial design is mostly theory but you have to start somewhere.

El Camino speaker box plan 1.0

½ inch fiberboard for the twin boxes and face plate and for the 6x9 enclosures’.

The passenger side of the smugglers box will contain 1 box for a ten inch sub woofer the box will be two (2) feet deep and two (2) feet across, the height will be 9 5/8 inches tall.

The plan is to install a ten (10) inch sub and an enclosed box containing a 6X9. Porting the main box to face the box on the driver’s side placing the port in the bottom of the backside.

The Driver side enclosure placed in the driver side of the smugglers box will contain a ten (10) inch sub woofer will be two (2) feet deep and two (2) feet across, the height will be 10 inches tall. (I know the boxes are different in dimension but there is a small bracket in the passenger side of the smugglers box I could cut this out but I have decided to leave it in.)

The plan is to install a ten (10) inch sub and an enclosed box containing a 6X9. Porting the main box to face the box on the passenger side placing the port in the front side of the driver side of the box.

I decided on two inch ports.

I will then cut a face plate to cover the smugglers box and to attach the two boxes I have created a pattern from the carpet used to hide the smugglers box. I will then place another two inch port in the face hoping to capture lows from the additional chamber I have created. The decision now to be made is do I fiber glass the box carpet the box or use a plastic coat paint to cover the box. That I am still undecided on and may paint the portions that can’t be seen to protect against moisture and glass the face.

Keep in mind I do not have the components so this is what I would like to do for now this could change.

If you are a family member or friend reading this wondering what to get me for my birthday coming in July a nice set of ten (10) inch sub woofers or a set of 6x9’s would be great.

We will continue posting what we are doing to the 81 El Camino we have decided to call “Giddy up Go” as we do knew things or come up with new ideas.

Much Respect

Rick DJ OCP

No comments:

Post a Comment